Monday, September 27, 2010

What do Ironport, fried zuchinni and Apple Beer have in common?: Woody’s Drive In- Murray

I’m semi-fascinated with “utah” food, and after reading a long list of famed garlic burger masterpieces I am determined to try every one. Woody’s Drive in is just down the street from cottonwood high on 1300 S. It climbed to the top of my challenge since they also serve old school ironport soda!

The drive in is great. You can still pull your car up in an ordering space, read the car window level menu and have your food brought out to you. Bonus: when people order this way and turn off their cars (not idling) it is much better for than environment than the drive thru. There are just 6 spaces and it’s so old timey it looks like someone rolled it back to 1955.

The menu is filled with drive in favorites. French Fries, Onion rings or Fried zucchini are available in a combo meal, and pick your sandwich from a Pastrami Burger to Patty Melt, Chicken Sandwich to the Superwoody (crazy huge double patty burger). They have delicious shakes and “utah” beverages like Apple Beer, Lime Rickeys, and Ironport.

I ordered a Garlic Burger since that’s what I’m here for. Went all in on the combo with zucchini fries and Ironport. The “garlic” aspect of the burger is no joke. The burger patty was actually split in half and filled with minced garlic like a pungent beef garlic Oreo. This was very yummy. The American cheese and tomatoes finished off the drive in style nicely. My only complaint is the bun seemed really cheap. Think wonderbread like holding power.. in a few minutes it was more or less useless so I ditched the soggy bottom and ate mine patty up. The zucchini fries were so delicious! They were nice and chunky with a crispy breading and zesty ranch dressing. Last but NOT least Ironport old school soda. I really probably shouldn’t be looking for new kinds of soda to like let alone drink, but this stuff is tasty. It has a cola like color and flavor, but it isn’t so sweet and has some savory spicy undertones. It made me think of Mexican coco-cola or unsweetened Dr Pepper if there was such a thing. Next time I will have the Apple Beer, something I already know I love! It’s like martinellis soda carbonated and also on the less sweet side.

All in all this place is a keeper. I can’t wait to come back and try the Patty Melt that I hear is fabulous. Lastly they have free WIFI! Who’da thunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment