Tuesday, September 28, 2010

FestDevious #1- Autumn Seasonals Are Finally Here (like we needed an excuse to drink more beer): Epic Brewing Company- Salt Lake City


I had a blast with Kyle at Snowbird’s Oktoberfest but I was bummed there wasn’t any real Oktoberfest style beer (marzen). When I heard Epic’s first seasonal was going to be a Marzen I was glued to hear the release date, and finally its here! Props on the label and name, pretty cool.

The beer is really good. The nose is pretty malty, not a hint of hop. The flavor is malty, I can taste a little pilsner coming through, it gives it some tang, but mostly the flavor is soft munich. Munich is the grain flavor I usually associate with “malty” taste (think Viennese malty X 3) This beer has real body. The malt heft is balanced by slightly heavy carbonation and the finish is-you guessed it-malty! It is just dry enough to make me drink more, but not as dry as say Paulaner Oktoberfest. All in all I am a hophead but the thing that keeps me coming back for the Marzen style is the uniquely savory flavor the malts and marzen/oktoberfest yeast create. If you can get your hands on one enjoy! Only 10 barrels of #1 are available and at $4.29 for 22oz they won’t be around for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment